Many people love to read books. Modern technologies make it possible to do this on a personal computer or laptop. Anyone can find and download them, but not everyone can open them. Below you will learn what to do if books do not open on your computer.
First, you need to determine the format (or extension) of the downloaded book. Indicated in the file name after the dot:
- DOC (or DOCX);
- TXT (or RTF);
Knowing the file extension, you can find out which tool to open it with.
How to open a book on a computer
- HTML files are the easiest to open as they only require a browser. Even standard Internet Explorer, which is installed by default on Windows devices, will do.
- DOC and TXT books are launched using Microsoft Office Word. The download is available from the official Microsoft website.
- You also need software to open PDF files. For this, Adobe Reader is suitable. The program can be found on the official website, download is available free of charge.
- To use FB2 files, you need an FBReader specially built to read in this extension.
- DJVU files are opened with WinDjView tool. You can download it from the official website of the developer.
Sometimes it happens that the user has downloaded their favorite works, installed the necessary program, but the computer does not open the books. In this case, you can use universal and free programs designed for reading. These include:
- Caliber, supports all possible extensions, available on Windows, macOS and Linux;
- Amazon Kindle has a user-friendly interface and can even be installed on a phone;
- Apple Books, a library for Apple users;
- Cool Reader, has many fine settings, so it is ideal for sophisticated users;
- FBReader, which opens e-books of different formats.